Pahrump Arts Council often provides opportunities for youth to use their curiosity and grow their talents by learning about art, and develop new skills with wonderful people who volunteer their time and expertise.
Unfortunately classes will not be scheduled this summer. Check back with us!
If you are interested in getting involved with the youth program, dedicating your expertise for young people in our community: please call 775-751-6776.
EXAMPLES OF PREVIOUS PROGRAMS:
Parents are welcome as observers. All supplies are provided. Wear comfortable washable clothing. Art is fun, but can be messy! Enjoy!
Grades K – 2
- Abstract tangle designs: pencils and colored pencils, learning to draw using repetitive patterns, develop eye/hand coordination.
Grades 3 – 5
- Percussion & rhythm: “how to hit things without getting in trouble”: learn to play rhythms patterns understanding the relationship of whole notes, half notes, quarter notes (and more!) and their counterpart rests. Demonstrate knowledge by playing a variety of drums and other items in an ensemble setting.
- Doodle designs: mandalas: abstract drawing created using repetitive patterns. Develop eye/hand coordination. Using compasses to create geometric forms and designs, learning basic art concepts.
- Fleece scarves: Learn to use color and texture to create a piece of wearable art to take home. How color choices enhance a piece of useful clothing, using fleece fabric and beads.
Open for Grades 3 and UP
- Gourd painting: learn all about gourds from an expert; prepare, design and paint a “coyote gourd” to take home. Or come and paint a prepared design. See the PAC Facebook page for photos from the gourd painting at Death Valley “BioBlitz” March12.
- T-shirt painting: bring your own (or your dad’s) shirt to paint an original design. Wear it! OR make a one-of-a-kind t-shirt tote!
- Square dancing basics: learn the basic moves for America’s national dance form. There is a bill before the legislature to make it Nevada’s state dance. Come join us and learn the first part of the beginner’s mainstream program. Parents welcome and encouraged to participate.
- Instant Theater: music/movement – a musical theater class in which we learn a musical number from start to finish. Fast-paced, high energy, lots of fun, no previous theater or dance experience necessary. Creative expression through movement and comedy. Wear comfortable clothing.
- Stenciled tote bag: show creative use of color and designs to create a useful art item that will be unique and yours alone.